Bradford, Vermont 05033
Bradford, VT is a town of 2,600, located on the eastern edge of the state, mid-
Bradford is the commercial center for several surrounding small communities such as Corinth, VT and Piermont, NH, and the town economy is still primarily based on retail and service businesses. Many of the surrounding towns have become centers of artistic and craft activity. There are many locally owned restaurants, and the local industry includes engineering, veneer production, and furniture manufacture, as well as several large dairy operations in town. Bradford was recently designated a “Preserve America” community by the National Advisory Council on Historic Preservation.
Downtown Bradford is a compact collection of almost exclusively locally-
Bliss Village Store -
a classic country store and good deli (Facebook Page)
Star Cat Books -
large selection of used books
The Local Buzz -
right next door, great coffee & local foods (Facebook Page)
Copeland Furniture Factory Store -
locally made fine furniture
Colatina Exit -
in another of the "old time" buildings, delicious Italian food, great deserts!
Chan’s House -
wonderful Chinese food
good for a light meal
- Alexander's - a wonderful restaurant in the old Mill building, Lebanese offerings, great deserts!
Parks and Activities
Belly full and shopping finished? Bradford offers many places to visit and things to do both downtown and in the surrounding area.
At the foot of Wait's River Falls (just south of us), Boch Park is popular for taking pictures. In the summertime, you can hear local music groups play at the Gazebo in Denny Park at the north end of downtown. A block further north along Rte 5 behind the old Bradford Academy (now the municipal offices and locally known as the "BA"), you can find Memorial Field and Bugbee Landing, great places for a stroll along the Waits River or access to launching small boats on the river itself. The entrance to the Bradford Golf Club is behind the BA as well. Elizabeth's Park has an absolutely wonderful playground including a grand wooden castle. You can find it about a half mile up North Main then left for a half mile on Fairgrounds Road.
Out of the center of town is the Bradford Town Forest just up Goshen Road, with several hiking trails. West on Route 25 to Wright’s Mountain Road takes one to the Wrights Mountain / Devils Den conservation area, with many miles of maintained hiking trails, including caves and mountain-
Located at the junction of the Waits and Connecticut Rivers, Bradford was first settled in 1765. It was chartered by the state of Vermont in 1788. Originally called Mooretown, the Vermont General Assembly later changed the town's name to Bradford in honor of Governor William Bradford of the Massachusetts Bay colony when Vermont became the 14th state of the United States in 1791.
Bradford was the home of James Wilson, first globe-
Many buildings in the town center are on the National Historic Register. The Bradford Mill is located just below the Falls on the Waits. Built in 1847 as a grist mill, today it houses several businesses. The Bradford Public Library nearby was the first public library chartered in Vermont. Its Richardsonian Romanesque building was designed in 1895 by Vermont architect Lambert Packard. Another Richardsonian building, the Bradford Academy (“BA”), was built in 1893-
The four frame structures on the east side of the Main Street commercial block (this includes us) were all constructed in the mid-
The village residential area is very walkable from our store, and contains many fine examples of Federal, Greek Revival and Victorian architecture with a Vermont flavor. The Congregational and Methodist churches are both classic white-